January 25, 2013

A Life of Grace

If you haven't seen the movie "Tree of Life", I highly suggest you do; if nothing else, for the feelings you get when you watch it. I've been in a sort of rut lately..unexplainable feelings, monotonous discord with the world and those around me, nothing like the vibrant iridescence that I want to exude. (Yes, I made a reference to my own blog, but I did choose that name for a reason, didn't I?) But I digress. The beginning of the movie is strewn with beautiful music, photography, and flashes of light. Jessica Chastain's voice is heard in the midst of it all: "The only way to be happy is to love. Unless you love, your life will flash by. There are two ways through life - the way of nature and the way of grace. You have to choose which one you'll follow. Grace doesn't try to please itself. Accepts being slighted, forgotten, disliked. Accepts insults and injuries. Nature only wants to please itself. Get others to please it too. Likes to lord it over them. To have its own way. It finds reasons to be unhappy when all the world is shining around it. And love is smiling through all things. No one who loves the way of grace ever comes to a bad end."

I didn't intend for this post to be a plug for a movie, but it sums up what I have to say exquisitely. I want to strive to live the way of grace. I want to be patient, kind, honest, and loving to those in my life, especially my dearest love in all the world. I want only the important things to matter, to never be quick to anger or be cross. It is never worth it. I have been trying it out this week: trying to be understanding, not acting selfish, focusing on the other person I'm talking to. Sometimes it is difficult, but I find that you are always rewarded in some way. Strangely enough, I can relate this to my theatrical training. I was told that when I am in a scene onstage, I should always make it about the other person. If both actors do this, then both will shine, selflessly creating a true and honest portrayal of what they are given. You know what? I wouldn't mind using this as a model for my relationships. Not at all. For it sounds very much like the way of grace to me.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment